Saturday, May 26, 2007

In Flight


In seat 18 A staring out across the southern sky as the twilight disappears into the night. I am munching a sweet roll and waiting for the cabin staff to serve me a coffee. I am on my way to Phoenix Arizona. Phew!

I am glad the queue at the USAir terminal wasn’t long and no traffic backups despite the rain. And thanks Harshika for dropping me at the airport!

I just finished planning what I am going to write on the poster we are entering into the poster competition in the 2007 AID conference on behalf of AID Dallas. Coming to think of it we almost did not have one. I called Venktesh from AID Tempe at 4 PM to ask if he know how I could bring the poster boards and he said, “No! no poster boards just a roll up poster with Chapter Milestones 2006-2007.”

Ok… so I have 2 hours before leaving for the airport. What can I put on a poster? I’ll think later… let me get a poster sheet. Just remembered Harshika had said she wants to work on a poster. Maybe she can help? I got out went to office depot and was browsing through the posters … white, fluorescent green, fluorescent orange. There was one with clouds and a blue sky in the background. I started humming “I believe I can fly....”. Hmmm why not? We have done some pretty cool things in the last one year in AID Dallas. We’ve grown in our volunteer strength, have been increasing our fundraising activities and our participation in projects and local dallas events. What about “We believe we can fly… we believe we can touch the sky” as a title?

I ain’t creative so I guess I’d have to wait for Harshika to show up. I started to print out pictures for the poster. Harshika arrived at 5:30. Half hour to go. I showed her my idea and while I paced around nervously she got to work on the poster. Cutting the pictures, arranging them. She said, “We should have balloons with these sets of pictures in a balloon each”. I almost said no. Then I thought that’s a great idea! So I nodded my head, decided to not use my creativity and let her do the drawing and color pens. It was 6:15. I was anxious. We were running out of time! She drew the pencil outlines for me and said, “Can you write over them with the color pens in Phoenix Airport?” 6:30.

As I reached to grab the cut pictures and the poster from her I noticed her hands were shaking uncontrollably.
May 26, 2007 9:15 PM CDT

No comments: